3.16.2009

A child at heart...

I had a house guest recently, and their visit illuminated a very interesting story arch in my life.

Growing up, I was kind of a quiet kid. I was outwardly sociable; I had plenty of superficial friends at school and had an enthusiastic personality, but somehow I usually ended up playing at home alone on weekends. I had all the cool toys and games. I had the Nintendo w/ the Power Pad and the Power Glove, I had the Super Nintendo with the Super Scope. If there was a hot board game, I had that. Top of the line swing set, and a killer sandbox, but usually I found myself playing in it by myself.

Having all the greatest toys and owning the top score on all the games is pointless when the most fun/challenge is had with 2 or more players.

So recently I had a house guest and with "childlike enthusiasm" I showed him some of my favorite toys and we played a few of my favorite games. I think I proved that I'm nice with a joystick and I can rope it up w/ the best of them playing cowboys and indians... I love role playing games.

I've never been one to "bribe" my way into friends. I don't openly advertise the attractions at Cherry's playhouse. It is not Six Flags; everyone is not invited. As a kid I never walked around going "I have this game and that toy and a jungle gym this big and huge maracas..." (Okay so maybe I do admittedly flaunt the maracas a bit, but can u blame me... they are pretty awesome) ;o)

Anyways... I think my playroom is full of fun surprises for those who venture inside.

I had grand fun, but now things have see-sawed back to normal....

Now that my play date is over, it's back to playing alone in my sandbox, and that's... sad.

No comments: